The following objectives represent the music concepts and skills that Rhea students will know upon entering third grade.
- be able to perform steady beat to a variety of songs in a variety of tempos.
- be able to discern if a song is in duple or triple meter.
- be able to discern between the melodic rhythm and the beat of a variety of songs.
- be able to identify and notate quarter, half, whole, and beamed eight notes.
- be able to identify quarter, half, and whole rests.
- be able to identify and notate songs in 2/4, 3/4, and 4/4 meters.
- be able to identify and notate the treble clef, staff, and notes from middle c to f5.
- be able to sing in tune.
- be able to perform the solfege Curwen hand signs do, re, mi, fa, so, la, ti, and do ' .
- be able to distinguish between male, female, and child's voices.
- be able to distinguish between the four instrument families both visually and aurally.
- be able to identify simple AB patterns in a variety of songs.
- be able to identify and articulate a variety of musical expressions including loud/soft, long/short sounds, and legato/staccato.
- be able to sing in a variety of keys and tonalities including major, minor, and pentatonic.
- be able to correctly play all classroom pitched and non-pitched percussion instruments.
- begin to develop a value of a diverse selection of music including, but not limited to, patriotic, folk, classical, ethnic, jazz, and popular.